Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Summer's end


Oh my, work got busy, I went to a meeting and my joints went to hell, AND I adopted a tiny, sweet little dog! So things have been busy, and my WoW time has felt like it's been focused on leveling, leveling leveling. I've been focusing on my Alliance toons, and didn't feel like I could do a blog post until I played my poor neglected night elf hunter a bit and got her a decent transmog outfit- ah, the worries of an altoholic!


Fossegrimme is in LFR, and wow, her numbers are pretty bad. She's reforged and gemmed, but very few enchants since I don't feel like blowing 2000G on a Power Torrent etc. that will be obsolete when the expansion drops in a few weeks. She's not winning any loot rolls so she isn't improving her performance that way either. I'm doing the same rotation as always (following advice from Noxxic and Icy Veins), keeping her DOTs and debuffs up, but her DPS is awful enough that she actually got kicked from one LFR after repeated wipes! Never happened to me before, and I felt pretty fail. I know fire mages are notoriously dependent on RNG, but I still feel that I must be doing something wrong with her. So, I think she will be retired now until Pandaria, unless I feel like soloing more BC dungeons for pretties. Because sucking at LFR is not very fun.



At least I'm happy with her outfit! Still sporting the Mana-Etched Vestments from BC heroics, and got the wiggly staff from Archbishop Benedictus in a HoT heroic. Her cape is a HoT healer cape with the spirit reforged off.




On to Aeshna. I'm still loving being a shapeshifter, and she's a monster when she's questing out in the world so that's been a lot of fun. However, I'm still struggling with the feral playstyle in dungeons; never enough energy, can't get behind mobs when the tank can't keep aggro or drags them all over, moves that don't always apply bleeds (is this buggy or the way it's supposed to work?). I'm really hoping that kitty gets more fun to play in Pandaria, or I'm afraid she won't get much play time once she hits level 90.


But dungeons provide such nice gear! Here she's looking a bit mismatched, still wearing transmogged Emblazoned gear plus some quest drops from Hellfire Peninsula, but with a most cool staff from one of the Hellfire dungeons! I was so happy when that dropped, and who else is going to roll on a staff with agility on it?


And flight form! Thank Elune for level 60 and finally being able to fly! After reaching this milestone though, I felt it was time to give Aeshna a little break as playing her was starting to feel a little bit like work. I needed a change, something different...


So back to Milyra the hunter! I guess I really like hunters, since this is my second one. I just find them to be very fun and relaxing to quest with- I guess that's a theme here, I want to relax when I play WoW, and pick my toons accordingly. Still, I like some challenge, so I have specced Milyra as survival rather than beastmastery, which I've played on Gallore. After hearing on a podcast that survival hunters do mostly magic damage and so benefit most from the target debuff that wind serpents provide, she made her way to Thousand Needles for questing and pet taming.


Her outfit is mostly quest rewards from Thousand Needles, in addition to the Infantry Tunic which doesn't match perfectly but still looks pretty nice. I bit the bullet and paid through the nose to transmog her heirloom cape too, and changed her hair up so everything matched. I suppose this color combo isn't very hunter-ly, but  I really like it!

I've done some reading on the things that Blizzard wants to change with the talent trees, including making it so that you're not forced to put points into talents that you don't benefit from until many levels later. This problem seems particularly bad for survival hunters. Milyra is currently at level 45, and I've put a bunch of points into talents that enhance Black Arrow, which she doesn't receive until level 69, or talents that enhance the Lock and Load proc, which is pretty much impossible to do until she gets Trap Launcher at level 48. Although I'm apprehensive about having everything I've learned about my toons completely shaken up in the expansion, I am looking forward to seeing whether that talent system will truly be improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment