Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Day 2: why did I start this blog? + why do you do what you do


Today I'm combining the 20 Days of WoW Challenge with the Newbie Blogger Week 2 challenge, as the topics go hand in hand.

The pictures accompanying this post are of my original main, Goetia the rogue, as she quested through Northrend for the first time. It was during this time that I really got hooked on WoW.

I've alluded to my reasons for starting this blog in a previous post: it provides a creative outlet for my interest in playing WoW. In addition, it provides me a means to "talk" about what I'm doing in game. I am a mostly solo player as I know very few people IRL who play. My boyfriend is happy to hear about my adventures in Azeroth, but he doesn't play so those discussions are mostly one-way. So blogging gives me  an outlet to share my experiences as I learn the game, and even if no one reads, at least I get the satisfaction of knowing it's out there.


And since I've only been playing for about a year, every day is still a learning experience. I don't have the expertise to write class or boss guides, and you won't find any theorycrafting here. Instead, I hope that I am able to convey my excitement at exploring the game: learning to play different classes, running instances in LFD, getting cool new gear and mounts, questing my way through the far corners of the world, and how my toons' stories are developing as I get to know them. I'll supplement those tales with ample screenshots, as the visual beauty of the game is probably the biggest draw for me.


Which leads me to the second question, Why Do I Do What I Do? I'm a scientist IRL, and exploring, learning and experimenting is second nature to me. An immersive, expansive game like WoW is the perfect place to play, documenting my travels along the way. I like reading and learning how to be a better player, but I also like finding unexpected new things. So WoW has kind of pushed my buttons as a scientist and a creative person, but in a fantasy setting that provides some escapism as well.



Tomorrow's post: First day playing WoW

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to drop by & say Hi. Good luck with the blog. It's going to be good reading about someone just a year into the game and so discovering lots of new things. Mind you I think this game is so huge that you can be several years in & still on a voyage of discovery. :) Look forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bravetank, I enjoy reading your blog too! I share some of your anxiety with running dungeons with groups of strangers; I'm not bold enough to try tanking yet but maybe someday; for now playing a healer is about the limit of my courage!

    ReplyDelete