Monday, May 7, 2012

Newbie Blogger Initiative

So, I've taken the plunge and added this blog to the Newbie Blogger Initiative! Over the past year that I've been playing WoW, I've greatly enjoyed discovering all of the resources online for learning about the vast world of Azeroth, maintained by a large community of WoW bloggers and Twitterers. As this game has developed into a full-fledged hobby for me, I've felt the desire to approach it as I do all of my hobbies: learning all I can about the topic, and turning it into a creative outlet. I really enjoy documenting my explorations in game, and I'm ready to share my meanderings with whomever cares to read.

Why has it taken me so long to get to this point? I will admit, I have struggled with some guilt over finding so much pleasure in a computer game, and the trials and travails of the characters that I create within. I feel like I am too old (40), too adult (mortgage, career); that enjoying this game is not a pursuit befitting of someone like myself.

But really, WoW isn't that far afield from other interests that I've held over the years. I've been a fan of video games since childhood, and the Final Fantasy series has been a huge favorite. I've read fantasy and science fiction books of all kinds, and enjoyed movies filled with aliens, monsters, dragons and warriors. I've always had an appreciation for art, so it's really no surprise that the visual beauty of Azeroth has drawn me in. I've also always had a vivid inner life filled with thoughts of strong women overcoming obstacles and achieving their dreams. For me, World of Warcraft provides an outlet for those fantasies to manifest, and this blog is a place to put those stories down on virtual paper.

I hereby establish my little spot in the WoW blogosphere, home of Wapsipinicon, Goetia, Blatella, Boomhoof, Panthalassa, Milyra, and many more. Some of their stories are already here; stay tuned for many more.


2 comments:

  1. I totally understand what you mean about feeling too old and too adult to play. Being a 30 something mother to two teenagers has played a huge part in why I don't talk about my love of gaming & science fiction to my friends and family.

    Welcome to the blogosphere!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that the stigma towards gaming still exists overall, despite the large community supporting it. If you're going to talk about it, you have to assess who among your friends and family, if anyone, can be trusted. It reminds me a bit of BDSM: most people aren't going to want to know you're into it, and the people who don't judge still don't want to know all the details :)

    ReplyDelete